A key focus for the Connected Everything network is skills development for PhD students and Early Career Researchers (ECRs). We believe that the people pipeline is critically important and faces rapid change, particularly in digital manufacturing context. So, we are offering a training and support programme to support this changing industrial context.
To help address this challenge, which recognises the severe disruption from the pandemic, Connected Everything has created a Covid Career recovery programme which will offer small amounts of funding to enable career progression that would not be possible otherwise.
Connected Everything has seen that the impact of Covid has adversely affected both PhD candidates and ECRs, with fewer opportunities available to them to progress their careers.
Awards will be made up to a maximum of £5,000 with £40,000 available in the budget. A short application form and subsequent EDI monitoring form must be completed by each applicant. All applicants must demonstrate how their activity will support the Connected Everything themes. Each applicant will submit a short summary of the outputs from the funding by July 2022. For example for a placement this maybe a poster or film, for a training course a short blog on its value, or for a publication its DOI.
One of the funding recipients has written this summary of how they used the funding through this call.
Examples of eligible activities are:
- Short (max 6 week) placements with Industry
- Training courses
- Caring costs associated with training courses
- Caring costs funded to enable publication writing time
- Other reasonable costs justified by the applicant
The call for the funding will be from May 2021 – 14 September 2021 with all activity completed and invoiced by 30 June 2022. Funding decisions will be communicated in October 2021.
Programme details (PDF)
Application form (word)
Programme overview (PDF)
- Please note that this call has now closed
- w/c 11 Oct 2021 – Applicants notified of outcome and contracting begins for awards
- 28 Oct 2021 – Kick off meeting for the cohort
- From 1 Nov 2021 – Activity can start
- Jun 2022 – Cohort to present at Connected Everything conference
- By Jul 2022 – All activity must be complete and outputs from the activity submitted.